Monday, March 24, 2008

Culture Shock in the USA

When I walked into the airport at ft lauterdale, I experienced culture shock. I'm not quite sure what to do with all that I saw, experienced, and learned in Haiti these past 5 days.

I wept on the plane ride from Pignon to Port Au Prince. My heart was breaking once again as I thought about the abject poverty most of the people in Haiti live in, and what I was on my way home too.

Jesus Christ lived out of his comfort zone for 33 years here on this earth. I live a comfortable life in Fresno. The people in Haiti kept thanking us for coming, for sacrificing our time and comfort, for encouraging them. The reality is, for me, I don't see it as a sacrifice, or that I have done anything special. I would give up electricity, a running/clean tiolet, being clean, any day if it meant glorifying God. The first day and a half was hard, being in a new place, different language...I experienced culture shcok really bad. But once friday came, and I had made friends, I felt right at home. I embraced the people, the culture, and even the language. I am going to miss Haitian food...it is so good, especially goat. :)

When I walked into an airport full of white people, an extremely clean airport, and then a plane full of white people, I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself...

I still don't know what to do with myself...

No comments: