Saturday, March 3, 2007

The GRE

I took the GRE on Wednesday afternoon. I ended up studying, a little bit? Actually, I really didn't study at all. I had surgery 8 days before the test and therefore didn't feel like studying. I can sum up in one word what the test is like, it...sucks. It is computer based, which makes it interesting. You can't move onto the next question until you answer the question you are on. Once you have answered a question, you can't go back to it, even if you have time at the end of the test. This is because the next question that you get is based upon the answer you gave for the question you are on.

For example, if I get the question right, it is going to give me a question with greater difficulty. If I get the answer wrong, then I am given a question with less difficulty than the question that I just answered. Basically, you know if you got the question right or wrong right away. Or at least I did. I knew that I wasn't doing so well when one of the comparative questions that came up was larvae:adult as...and the answer was tadpole:frog.

The plan was to take the GRE once in Febraury and once in March. I was just going to take it to see what the test was like in February. In all honesty, I was hoping that I would get the score that I needed the first time I took it. I knew this was unlikely, seeing as how I felt horrible while taking the test, but I was hoping.

I am going to study for the GRE this time around. I really don't want to, I hate standardized tests, but if I want to go to grad school, then I have to take it again. I need to find some internal discipline to study.

No comments: