Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Politics and some thoughts on the '08 Presidential Bid

When I was living in Washington DC, I couldn't help but know exactly what was going on in terms of politics, the capitol, the president, and of course the latest scandal. I worked 5 blocks from the White House and 8 blocks from the Capitol, and had a tv on at my desk on the news channels (and from 2-3 pm I watched the Daily Show and the Colbert Report). Since I have been back in Fresno and sick, I feel like I have been living under a rock, not really sure what is going on in the realm of national politics. Now that I am feeling somewhat better (and by that I mean I no longer am asking Jesus to take me home), my interest has once again peaked.
I had no doubt that Congress was still fighting with the President on the next course of action in Iraq. I read in the Washington Post that a partisan debate began yesterday in the House regarding Iraq and the President's current war policy to deploy more troops to Iraq. Apparently this debate will continue unto the evening and even tomorrow before a House Vote on Friday. Democrats are of course saying that the people have spoken out against Bush's policy by voting in a democratic majority into Congress. And I don't doubt that the American people were/are against Bush's war strategy, but a new strategy has been introduced since the American people voted in November. Although I personally do not want more troops to be sent over with the possibility of being killed if it isn't necessary, if sending 20,000 more troops to Iraq will allow all of our troops to come back sooner, I am all for it. Many have likened this war to Vietnam...well what I know of Vietnam, I am glad that the American people are still supporting our Troops, who are over there risking their lives so we may continue to live in such a way...Free. In the article mentioned above, Republicans believe that we are now fighting for our very way of living, and part of me does not doubt that due to all that is occurring in the world and the Middle East (dealing with Islamic Fundamentalists). No matter what I think is right or wrong, with a Democratic House, a 97 word resolution is going to be passed that will go against the President's proposed war strategy.
When there was a Republican majority, the democrats complained of not being heard and being treated unfair due to the position as the minority. When the 110th Congress began, the democrats took a running start with their own agenda (100 Hour Agenda), not considering Republican proposals and amendments to legislation being introduced. In the current debate over the war, Republicans are not allowed to introduce alternative measures to the proposed resolution.
To switch gears a bit...the beginning of the presidential election bid always intrigues me. It fascinates me who does and does not form exploratory committees, and who decides to go forward to try to win their parties presidential bid.
And with that, how fascinated people are with meeting such candidates. For instance, a gorge of people waited to shake hands with Rudy Giuliani outside of Mimi's Cafe in Fresno. He was at the Tulare Ag Expo on the 13th, you can't miss that on the front page of the Fresno Bee. People waited outside for Giuliani for about 2 hours, to what, shake hands with a man who has not officially declared he is trying for the GOP presidential bid (although he informally said it at the Tulare Ag Expo, and lets face it, we all know he is running). I guess I just don't get why people would wait around for such a long time, in the cold, to shake hands with a man...he is only a man. Like I said, I guess I just don't get it.
I read another interesting article in the Washington Post (Posted at 01:15 PM ET, 02/13/2007) regarding candidates and their religion, in particular a candidate vying for the GOP bid, Mitt Romney, who is Mormon. If you have a chance, I suggest you read the article, it is quite interesting.

No comments: