Thursday, February 15, 2007

Fret not thyself... Psalm 37:1

This was the scripture in my devotional today. Do not worry. That is what it is saying. How easy it is to say and how hard it is to do. As a follower of Christ, I know that He knows what is best for me, I have faith, for His word assures me of that promise, but I continue to struggle with this promise.
This is the beginning of a psalm that I have come to love. It is a psalm that gives me guidance in trusting in the Lord and waiting patiently on what He is doing in my life. It is a promise to His children that they will prosper. This verse and psalm is very timely. What I thought the next steps of my life consisted of have changed completely over the last six weeks. Although it is hard for me to process all that is happening, and hard for me to see what the Lord is doing, I realize that I don't need to know what the Lord is doing, I only need to trust that He has my best interest at heart. I feel like the last 8 or so months have been a time of trusting, not really knowing what comes next. A good friend likened my situation to the fog (a great example for those of you that live in the central valley). I may not be able to see a foot in front of me because of the fog, but that foot is there, there is ground. I know that there is a next step, I don't know what that step is, but it is there.
I read a book a few months ago titled In the Meantime:The Practice of Proactive Wating by Rob Brendle. One of the main points of the book, and one that has stuck with me is something he calls "living into your calling". Knowing that Jesus has a plan for your life, you may or may not have a direction as to what that is or will be, but that everything you do is preparing you for it. He talks about the jobs that he had where he didn't see how they could help in the calling that God had placed on his life, but looking back on them, he sees how every task has prepared him for his current occupation. The Biblical example he used was King David. David was a sheperd boy, who was told that he was going to be King, but he would have to wait. He knew his calling, but there was so much more that needed to happen, that he needed to experience to prepare him for such a position.
I take scripture such as Psalm 37 and the story of King David and cling to the fact that although I believe I know the call God has placed on my life, and I want to get there NOW, there are still things that I need to experience and learn. And although I do not fully see how my current situation puts me where God wants me, I will trust this change of direction, cling to His promises, and try not to fret.

1 comment:

Luke Mundy said...

I'm also struck my the example of Paul: In Acts 9:15 God says to Ananias, "Go, he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel." You'd expect Paul to get right to work, right? Nope. Instead he goes and hangs out in the deserts of Damascus. Galatians 1:18 says it takes another 3 years before he is brought to Jerusalem to become a central figure in the church. I've read commentators who liken this three years in Damascus to the three years that Peter was able to spend with Jesus during his earthly ministry. Kinda cool how God holds us and prepares us!