Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Goodbye to by my Gallbladder

It is official...I will be saying goodbye to my gallbladder next Tuesday right around 1 pm. I have been sick for about 6 weeks, which for the most part has really sucked. So after many doctors appts and many tests, they have finally figured out the problem (or one of the problems). One of the funny things about having all the tests done is that they found out something else that is going on with my body without even meaning too. What it comes down too, though, is that I am extremely happy that it finally seems like there is an end in sight to all of this.
I was having lunch with a friend the other day, and as we were discussing our ailments, we were discussing the fact that when the doctor mentions something may be wrong or doesn't give any indication at all, we both go onto WebMD to try to figure out what is going on with our bodies. It was nice to know that I wasn't the only one who does this. It has been fun messing with my sister, telling her all the different things that I thought were wrong with me before we actually knew.(side note, my sister who is in PA school told me that doctors and PA's hate when people try to self diagnose). The downside to going on WebMD is you can self diagnose yourself with just about anything and can really freak yourself out. The upside is that you learn a whole lot about the body.
For instance, I wasn't even sure what the gallbladder did. I knew where it was located (due to the pain), and that it was part of the digestive tract (thanks to my anatomay class my senior year of high school), but that was about it. I now know what it looks like, the color, the function, the type of tissue, etc. I also know all about peptic ulcers, since that is the other thing they found wrong with me.
Anyways, I have learned that by taking my gallbladder out that there is a 70% chance that it is going to take care of all the abdominal pain. That also means that there is a 30% chance that I could be back in the surgeons office with the same pain. I'm praying that once he takes the gallbladder out and I recover that I am going to be 100% me again.

No comments: