Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Resting

I read Shaun Groves blog. I like what he has to say, even though I don't always agree with it. He is usually pretty insightful and makes me think.

I have been struggling with what it means to rest, to have a sabbath. Life is so busy that when I have an evening off, I am not quite sure what to do with myself.

Here is a portion of Shaun's blog from today:

"I’m always working because I’m never satisfied. At night I stay up dissecting the day and fretting over the next, sifting through the moments I wish I could do-over, prognosticating tomorrow’s troubles. Even when my body isn’t in motion my mind is still working away, tweaking the past and perfecting the future before it even arrives. I’m a bundle of anxiety and regret.

It’s good? Good enough to leave alone?


Taking a sabbath requires me to be satisfied with myself, with my reputation, with my income and the amount of stuff I own, with the finished and half-done and not-even-started. With God. With the life he’s made me – so far."

Am I not truly satisfied with life? Is that always a bad thing?

Do you struggle with taking a real "sabbath"? What do you like to do to rest?

To read the entire blog, go here.

No comments: