Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Honesty Within the Church

To be honest, I find it hard to be honest about my struggles in the church, and where I am struggling with my job, which is at a church. I am pretty sure this has something to do with the fall...a long time ago...starting with Adam and Eve.

In Genesis 2:25, it states "The man and his wife were both naked and they felt no shame"

This does not simply mean physically naked. It is an intimacy with God and each other that caused no shame. They were naked with their emotions. They were naked with their experiences. They were naked with their souls.

They did not know what jealousy was. They did not know what contempt was. They did not know what anger was. They did not know how not to share everything with each other.

They felt no shame.

I am so thankful for the handful of people in my life who I know I can share every part of my life with; the good, the bad, the ugly, and they stick around. Its nice to know that I have a community of people who will walk through life with me.

Does your church cultivate a place of honesty? Do you feel you can take off the mask and share your burdens with others in the church?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish churches weren't like this.

as one of my profs says,
"Where's the last place people WANT to go to talk about sin? Certainly not church. Most likely a bar or coffee shop..."

thus, small groups were invented.