Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Proverbs 31:More Than a Wife of Noble Character

For those of you who read the Bible or have ever attended church, you all know Proverbs 31 to be the Proverb that talks about the wife of noble character. This morning, Scott Hansen passed by my office and told me that Proverbs 31:8-9 was my theme verse. Now I knew that there were 2 "parts" to this Proverb, but realized that many people do not. Proverbs 31:1-9 is an oracle King Lemuel's mother taught him ("Sayings of King Lemuel") and Proverbs 31:10-31 is the "Epilogue:The Wife of Noble Character". Scott told me to look it up and he would come back by my office. So I opened up my Bible, and looked at the passages that I had underlined at one time or another in my life (actually, the past year since I have had this Bible for a little over a year).
This is what it says: "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy"

Scott brought up this passage again in our staff meeting.

I found all of this interesting for multiple reasons:
  1. I realized that there are certain parts of the Bible that are "known" for certain things. In this case, most think that Proverbs 31 only talks about the wife of noble character, when in reality it talks about freeing the oppressed, speaking up for those who do not have a voice, defending those who can not defend themseleves, etc.
  2. I have never heard these verses used by others when talking about the poor, the needy, those who are not treated fairly. We all know of Isaiah 1:17, Isaiah 58 (specifically vs 6-8), Micah 6:10, just to name a few.
  3. How many other passages of scripture do we miss, do I miss because of the importance that is put on one part over another?

It is my prayer that we would all dig deeper into the scriptures and not rely solely on what we are being taught in church....who knows what you might miss out on.

1 comment:

hair today said...

Thank you for your thoughts. Our bible study womens house church is studying proverbs31 currently. Last week my girl friend lead a study of vs.1:9. We all had a similar repronse to what your thoughts were. How many times in the last 14 years have I read this passage and overlooked the first 9 vs.? Very insightful!