Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Deep Hurt of Words

There was a situation this past weekend where myself and somebody I care deeply about were judged, attacked, and deeply hurt by people he cares for. This was completely unwarranted and I believe was an attack by the enemy. I am still deeply hurt about it. I know that I can either hold onto this hurt, and become bitter, or I can give it over to the Lord for Him to help me forgive.

After holding onto it for two days, I decided that it was time to give it to the Lord. Tuesday morning I went to Uncle Harry's, got my bagel, put my ipod on, and opened up my Bible. I asked the Lord to lead me to whatever scripture was best, and I landed on Psalm 141.

vs 3-5
"Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord, keep watch over the door of my lips. Let not my heart be drawn to what is evil, to take part in wicked deeds with men who are evildoers; let me no eat of their delicacies. Let a righteous man strike me-it is a kindness. Let him rebuke me-it is like oil on my head. My head will not refuse it. Yet my prayer is ever against the deeds of evildoers."

The Lord reminded me that the things that were said were lies. It was the enemy trying to tear both of us down and to create a fear within us. The words that were spoken were of evil, they seemed to have been said with malice.

After I overcame the shock (well, I guess I still am in shock), I wanted to call these people up and ask them how they have the audacity to treat people this way. When I read this scripture, I realized that if I did that, then I would be stooping to their level. If these people truly cared about us, they would not have spoken the way they did. The things that were said have no bearing on either of our lives.

If a brother or sister in Christ comes to me in truth and love, that is when I will take what they are saying into consideration. As the scripture says, it is kindness and like oil to my head.

We forget how powerful our tongue is, how deep words can hurt. Once something is said, you can never take it back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you're more encouraging than you realize.
thanks.