Thursday, May 20, 2010

What is Human Trafficking?

I talk about human trafficking and sex trafficking often, but I don't believe I have ever given a definition to what that means.

Human Trafficking simply means a person is made into a commodity. They are bought, transported, and sold as if they were somebody's property.

The person is controlled by threats and violence, forced to "work", and is not paid.

Human trafficking includes:
Child Soldiers
Child Labor
Bonded Labor
Sex Slave Trade
Domestic Servitude
Contract Slavery

They all break my heart, but the exploitation of girls and women in the sex trade really gets my blood boiling.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i hear that there's a program at an esteemed seminary that focuses sharply on children at risk. you might be able to get some more information about it here: http://www.fuller.edu/academics/school-of-intercultural-studies/masters-level-degree-programs/concentrations/children-at-risk.aspx

Just saying...